Documents detail what led to the body being buried in concrete in a tub in Hawaii

Police say in court documents that a 23-year-old man killed his 73-year-old lover, poured cement over his body in a bathtub and planned to fraudulently take possession of his car and home in one of Hawaii’s most exclusive gated communities

HONOLULU — A 23-year-old man killed his 73-year-old lover, attempted to make it look like a suicide, poured cement over his body in a bathtub and planned to fraudulently take possession of his car and home in Hawaii’s most exclusive condominiums , police said in court documents filed Thursday.

Juan Tejedor Baron is charged with murder, larceny and identity theft in the death of Gary Ruby, whose decomposing body was dug up by authorities earlier this week from a freestanding bathtub at Ruby’s home in Hawaii’s Loa Ridge.

US Marshals and Los Angeles Police Department arrested Baron after finding him in a crawl space in the back of a Mexico-bound bus in Anaheim, California. He was being held without bail pending extradition to Honolulu and it was not clear if he had an attorney.

According to a Honolulu police affidavit, Baron told a Los Angeles police officer that he became angry with Ruby after the sex.

“Baron stated that shortly thereafter he noticed Gary choking on food and Baron responded by placing a belt around Gary’s neck and tightening the belt until Gary passed out,” the affidavit reads.

He then dragged Ruby into a bathtub and used a kitchen knife to stage a suicide, then filled the tub with concrete he found in the garage, the affidavit said, but that only partially covered the body.

So Baron drove to a hardware store and bought four additional bags of concrete to fill the tub, the affidavit states, and “he used coffee grounds to cover the cement to hide the smell of decomposition.”

Baron forged title papers to get title to Ruby’s 2020 Audi on Feb. 7, the affidavit said, and planned to purchase his home. According to property records, Ruby purchased the home in 2002 for nearly $2.2 million.

Honolulu police said they received a call Monday from Ruby’s brother, who hadn’t heard from him in three weeks. Ruby’s last email to his brother mentioned that he “had met a new love interest named Juan” who was significantly younger.

Two officers went to the house where Baron told them he bought the house from Ruby five years ago and then changed his story to say he bought it two years ago after police told him Ruby bought it bought it in 2020, the affidavit said. Baron claimed to have the deed for the house.

The condominium operations manager told police that Baron arrived at the main office Monday to register as the new owner of Ruby’s home, the affidavit said, and that the manager received an email from Ruby’s documented email -Address received with the deed documents have no notary or signature on it.

On Tuesday, police, a coroner and a forensic pathologist entered the home and found the tub in the main bathroom covered in cement and coffee with Ruby’s body at the bottom of the tub.

Shortly after Baron’s arrest Wednesday, marshals and Los Angeles police arrested a 34-year-old man who Honolulu police saw leaving Ruby’s home while speaking with Baron earlier in the week.

The 34-year-old man was later released after it was determined he was not involved in Ruby’s death, Honolulu police said.

Comments are closed.