5 dead, at least 18 injured in Memorial Day weekend gun violence – NBC Chicago
Chicago police say five people have been killed and at least 18 others injured in shootings across the city during Memorial Day weekend so far.
A man was fatally shot in the first fatal shooting Saturday afternoon in the 6000 block of South Artesian in the Chicago Lawn neighborhood, authorities said. The victim was shot in the head at approximately 1:31 p.m. and was taken to Advocate Christ Medical Center, where he later died.
On Saturday night, two men were fatally shot while shooting at each other in the Englewood neighborhood, authorities said. At approximately 5:04 p.m. in the 5500 block of South Bishop, two men aged 29 and 38 were near the sidewalk when they pulled out guns and fired shots and hit each other.
Both men were taken to the University of Chicago Medical Center, where they died.
In the 5700 block of South Carpenter, a man was standing on a sidewalk around 1:05 a.m. Sunday when he was shot in the head and body, according to police.
Authorities pronounced the man dead at the scene and there are no suspects in custody and no further information on his identity was immediately provided.
Another fatal shooting occurred around 6:40 a.m. Sunday in the 4200 block of West Madison.
According to police, a 33-year-old man was driving east when he was shot multiple times in the left side of his body. The vehicle he was driving eventually crashed into a street median, and when officers arrived at the scene, they took him to an area hospital.
The man was pronounced dead a short time later.
There are no suspects in custody and police are continuing to investigate the shooting.
Here are the rest of the weekend’s shoots so far:
- At around 10:15 p.m. Friday, a group of armed men approached a man and woman in the 900 block of North Lockwood and opened fire. Police say a 34-year-old man who was in a parked car was hit in the neck and taken to a nearby hospital in critical condition. A 31-year-old woman who was standing near the car was hit in the elbow and is in good condition at another hospital. A third victim, a 32-year-old man, was caught in the crossfire and was hit in the lower back. Police say he was in good condition at a local hospital. There were no suspects in custody.
- At approximately 10:19 p.m., a 42-year-old man was driving in a vehicle when he encountered several vehicles and a group of people near the 7900 block of South Drexel. As he tried to get through, he heard several shots and was hit in the shoulder. He drove himself to a local hospital, where he was listed as being in good condition, police said.
- A 56-year-old man was standing outside the 500 block of North Lavergne at around 3:32 a.m., police said, when he was shot by a person in a white SUV. The man was hit in the back and hip and was taken to a nearby hospital in good condition.
- In the 6700 block of South Damen, a 26-year-old man suffered a gunshot wound to the buttocks around 2:50 p.m., police said. The victim was driving when she heard gunshots and felt pain. He was transported to the University of Chicago Medical Center and is said to be in stable condition.
- At approximately 11:45 p.m. at Block 2900 of West 31St Street, two people were in a car when they were shot at. A 25-year-old man was hit in the left leg and was taken to a nearby hospital in good condition, police said. A 27-year-old woman suffered a scraped finger and refused medical treatment.
- Chicago police say a 31-year-old man was driving in the 2100 block of West Coulter around 12:45 a.m. when his left hand was grazed by gunfire. He refused on-site treatment.
- Two men were standing on a street in the 7000 block in South Indiana around 1:16 a.m. when a man shot at them, police said. A 42-year-old man was shot in the leg and was admitted to an area hospital in critical condition. A 38-year-old man was shot in the left leg and was in fair condition, police said.
- In the 800 block of South Karlov, a group of people were on a sidewalk at around 1:32 a.m. when a fight broke out and gunfire rang out. A 16-year-old girl was shot in the back, a 21-year-old man was shot in the left side of the body, another 21-year-old man was shot in the left arm, a 21-year-old woman was shot in the left arm, and a 33-year-old woman was shot in the left arm -year-old man was shot in the face, police said. All five were taken to nearby hospitals in serious condition.
- At around 2:45 a.m., an 18-year-old man entered a hospital on the 700 block of South Michigan and said he was shot in the left foot. He was listed in fair condition but was unable to provide additional information to the police.
- Police say an adult male was found on the ground around 4:53 a.m. in the 6300 block of South Calumet. He was shot in the back and hip and was admitted to critical condition at an area hospital.